Saturday, May 16, 2009

I am a Petty, Petty Man

Got back from Star Trek, a movie I thoroughly enjoyed once Tiina switched places with me so I wouldn't have to yell at the ten year-old sitting next to me who wouldn't shut the hell up, to the news that Gilbert Bouchard's body's been found. And I'm thinking stuff like people talking constantly during a film really shouldn't seem like that big a deal right now...

...and I can't help it, but I'm still consumed with a desire to hunt that twerp down and rain verbal abuse down upon him till he's traumatized to such a degree that he never speaks again. No wonder piracy's a big issue for the movie industry. It's the only way to see new films without having to deal with some loudmouth jerk who thinks they're in their living room and has no respect for the people who paid to see a movie and not listen to hir blathering is to watch it via other means.

I don't really know what to say about Gilbert, and even if I did, I don't feel like it's my place to say much at all. At the end of the day, I didn't really know him that well, but I liked him, enjoyed hanging out with him on the few occasions we did so, and wish I'd gotten to know him better. His loss is a blow to the Edmonton arts community in general and the comics community in particular. I hope his family and loved ones are doing OK, and that knowing what happened to him, even knowing he's no longer going to be an active part of their lives, is an improvement over the uncertainty of the past few weeks.

A

No comments: