Friday, April 4, 2008


This day was not productive AT ALL.

Well, not for me. Tiina's been blazing through the final tweaks for THE HOLIDAY MEN IN THE MASSACRE MEMORIAL DAY SALE MASSACRE EXTRA-SPECIAL COLLECTIBLE BLACK AND WHITE PRINT VARIANT EDITION #1. And The Future of Comics (II) John Keane sent me eight pages of new SPOOKY KIDS roughs at 3 in the morning. And The Future of Comics (I) Fiona Staples is still cranking out pages for WildStorm's THE SECRET HISTORY OF THE AUTHORITY: JACK HAWKSMOOR (I assume she is, anyway--given the deadline the assignment came with, she'd pretty much have to be...)

Me? I got a little bit (VERY little bit) of the outline for THE LITTLE BROTHER written, then had a flurry of back and forth e-mails with the Senior Editor and Writer of the new project I'm editing, in which I blithely claimed that a Sunday noon Skype meeting would be no problem at all. Everyone said great, I went downstairs and told Tiina, and she reminded me that I'd made a commitment to doing inventory at Happy Harbor on Sunday months ago.

Spent the rest of the day trying to set up a different meeting time sometime in the next 48 while in the clutches of a blind panic over my ####-up. Not that I think this SHOULD be a major thing, but I'm always on the edge of panic so it doesn't take much to get me going. And I'm still very new to the job and not sure how uptight they're going to be over people saying they can do a meeting and then changing their minds fifteen minutes later. I've got think such a thing is not a fabulous, great way to impress your new boss and your new client...

So, yeah. Waste of a day in what was actually a pretty good week. Spent almost all of Monday figuring out how to make the needed fix in the spec movie script; almost all of Tuesday making the necessary changes to the script; all of Wednesday--I don't think I've spent that much time writing constantly since the accident--polishing the fixes. Thursday I was at the shop, and today...well, Friday seems to be turning into my day off. It's not that working at the shop is particularly physically demanding (usually), but something about 6-8 hours there just wrecks me the next day.

Normally, I'd take some painkillers, but after I don't know how many years popping Tylenol-3's like candy, it occurred to me that there might be a causal connection between taking them and my frequently feeling exhausted in the middle of the afternoon.* So I've been not taking painkillers during the day for the last week or so, to see whether I'd be...well, not more alert, because that's just not me...but less dopey.

And I am. Unfortunately, I'm also in no little discomfort. If it's not one thing, it's another...

*That it took something like six years for me to notice a (potential) connection between taking pills and spontaneous naptime is, I'm sad to say, not an uncharacteristic lapse of perception. As The Shepherd told me a couple weeks ago, "Y'know, for a writer, your observational skills kinda suck."


No comments: