Thursday, August 7, 2008

Absent

My grandfather died last night.

The time between the decision to go with comfort measures only and his death was relatively short, which was a mercy for me and, I suspect, the rest of the family, and relatively peaceful, which I hope was a mercy for him.

I'm a bit of a wreck at the moment, on every front--physically, emotionally...OK, I'm a bit of a wreck on two fronts. And I've got a lot of catching up to do once the sleep-deprivation pixies that've been dancing in my peripheral vision for the last 18 hours or so go away. So there probably won't be a lot of posting for the next little while.

Anyway. If you were wondering why I haven't been posting lately, or why I haven't replied to your recent e-mail, now you know. On the upside, you will probably now be spared the lengthy post on how disturbingly hairy my back has become in recent years that I was toying with writing before I got a phone call saying the nursing home staff couldn't rouse Granddad.

A