Monday, April 27, 2009

Calgary Comics and Entertainment Expo

Woof. Good weekend (even the part where I was called upon to improvise a commercial for the Gap on about an hour and a half of sleep), but today my entire body feels like it's been pounded with a meat tenderizer.

Brief impressions:

-Yanick Paquette is a really nice guy.

-I do love my Ship Burger with the works + guacamole. I really, really do.

-As I didn't have anything new to sell this year, I thought, "Hey, why don't T and I buy tickets and go as fans and that way I won't be stuck behind a table, I can be out among the people?" About fifteen seconds into the show I had an answer to the first part ("I don't want to stand in line waiting to get my badge and besides, exhibitor/guest badges mean I can get in early if I want"), and fifteen minutes later I had an answer for the second ("I intensely dislike large crowds of people, especially when I'm stuck in the middle of them.") All the more reason to get something new to sell out by next year, not that that isn't its own reward.

-"Evanier" is pronounced Eh-vuh-NEER, and it's a made-up name assigned to an immigrant Jewish family for no good reason.

-Svetlana Chmakova's as sweet as I remember her being. Nice people don't always finish last.

-I need to take some improv classes. And get more sleep.

-If the con continues to use the Hotel Arts as the official place to stay, Vicious Ambitious' Drink 'n' Draw is going to be the place to be on Saturday next year, much like it was this year, despite the Unicorn screwing the table reservation up.

-Calgary weather sucks.

A

1 comment:

Daniel Andrews said...

It was good seeing you again, and I hope you enjoyed Drink and Draw. It turned out ok, once the game ended. In fact it was a pretty apparent change in crowd once 9:30 hit.
Until the next time.
All the best.