Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Low Iss

"My grandfather donated his body to the University of Alberta's medical/dental department and all I got was this lousy memorial."

Actually, it wasn't a lousy memorial...it was just kind of there. Having seen how thankful the students and faculty were for having a real, no longer live body to practice their butcher--er, medical skills on, I've decided that, rather than one of my previous post-mortem body disposal methods*, I, too, would like to donate my body to the U of A.

However, before I do so, I want to officially change my first name to Big Butt Freak.

There are two reasons for this. First, I think it's funny. And second, I find it hard to believe anyone could mispronounce Big Butt Freak. But if anyone could, the representatives who read off the names of the body donors could manage it.

Thankfully, they got Granddad's name right, which is pure blind luck--they called the second donor named Thomas "Thawmuss." And exactly how one could turn Lois into Loyz is beyond me, but they did it.

If I make the memorial sound completely wretched, well, it wasn't. It was actually kind of nice to be involved in a ceremony that involved prayers that didn't invoke god or jesus. My atheism's getting to the stage where even mentioning a generic "holy one" grates, but at least the chaplain was attempting to be inclusive. And each family got a rose. After the memorial, we visited Grandma's grave and left the flower there.

That said, the ceremony really could've used a donor named Big Butt Freak. An hour and a half's a long time to go without a laugh.

***

Preparations for the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo have been kicking my ass. Probably won't be a lot of blogging for the next little while--hopefully I'll be able to pick up the pace a bit after Free Comic Book Day.

A

No comments: