Monday, September 1, 2008

The Slumbering Giant Awakens. Briefly.

Hell Month appears to be over, and it actually ended on a high note with the Pop Print Festival.

But four days of listening to academics took its toll. I'm still recovering, both physically and in terms of work/e-mail/blogging.

Quote of the conference goes to Dark Horse Editor Rachel Edidin, who, in response to a question about what it's like to be a woman in the comic industry, said something along the lines of "It's about the same as being a man in the comic industry, but with a vagina."

That's a paraphrase. I wrote the quote down verbatim - I even know where it is, but my knees are giving me serious grief and I don't want to go down stairs if it can possibly be avoided. But if I got anything substantially wrong, I'll let you know in a future installment of this thing called blog.

***

In other news, I can't decide which Palin is funnier, Michael or Sarah.

But seriously, while the business with her daughter does arguably highlight a kind of hypocrisy on Palin's part, I'm really disgusted by the coverage of the whole thing on CNN (yes, I know, I shouldn't watch CNN, I can't help it, I'm addicted.) There's plenty of valid criticism to be made of Palin; questions of whether she can "do the job while raising a family" are completely out of line. She couldn't do the job if she did have a family, and it's kind of sickening to see the question framed that way. But then, pretty much every aspect of McCain's blatant attempt to snag disaffected Hillary voters is kind of disgusting. As far as I can tell, it's failed miserably, which gives me hope for the future of mankind.

Meanwhile, it sounds like there's going to be a Canadian election pretty soon. Pretty soon, as in, it'll be announced, voted on, and over with before the US Supreme Court's anointed the next American President. I love Canadian elections - blink and you miss them. We're efficient if nothing else.

A

No comments: