Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Birthday Wishes

First and foremost, I wish I didn't have to spend the hours of midnight till four in the morning in a hospital emergency waiting room, wincing, shouting, and on a few occasions crying (it's extraordinarily frustrating to realize, once you lie down on an examination table, that you actually can't--and I'm not exaggerating, I literally COULD NOT--get up. Esp. when, as far as you can tell, you've been shoved in a storage closet and forgotten by hospital staff).

The demerol shot was a literal pain in the ass, but its effect was worth it--the deep, stabbing pain in my lower back remained as keen as ever, but the rest of the back and sides relaxed somewhat and the pain stopped radiating as much and I finally, finally got some much needed-sleep. Not as much much-needed sleep as I needed, but at five in the morning, I'll take what I can get thankyouverymuch.

***

RECEIVED THIS MORNING IN E-MAIL FROM CEVYN-MY-NIECE
(probably in retaliation for the improvised birthday "songs" I've been leaving on the family answering machine for her birthday for the last several years)

"hi this is for your birthday

happy birthday to you you stepped in some poo

don't waste it just taste it

happy birthday to you

love cevyn"

***

RECEIVED ON FACEBOOK FROM WEBCOMICKER/HAPPY HARBORITE RUDI GUNTHER

"Have a not entirely unpleasant day celebrating (in theory) the day of your birth."

***

FROM FRAZER IRVING, ALSO ON FACEBOOK

"Happy birthday, Grandad!! :D"

I replied by telling the young whippersnapper to get off my lawn.

***

IN ALL SERIOUSNESS

Thanks to everyone who took the time to wish me a happy birthday. I'd like to respond personally to everyone, but I'm still in dodgy shape and I'm congenitally lazy even when I'm not semi-crippled with back pain, so...yeah. Maybe it's the drugs talking, maybe the 14 hours of sleep I didn't get last night, but the well-wishing really means a lot to me on this, the day of my daughter's wedding. I mean this, the day I was dragged kicking and screaming from my mother's womb.

A

1 comment:

MR. NICK said...

I spent a portion of yesterday trying to think up some clever way to say Happy Birthday and then ended up forgetting all together.

I guess that's why you're the one that writes things.

Happy belated birthday, Andrew!